• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a boss tell other employees why you were fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

natalie736

I live in WI and my boss didn't even have the guts to tell me himself that I was fired...so he had another employee tell me. Is that legal? I thought there is a privacy protection against that. Can anyone help me?!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While this is incredibly poor management on the part of your boss, it is not illegal. Nothing in the law says that other employees cannot be told that/why you were fired.

Tayla

cbg said:
While this is incredibly poor management on the part of your boss, it is not illegal. Nothing in the law says that other employees cannot be told that/why you were fired.
In reading literally the context of the original posters question: 'Can a boss tell other employees why you were fired?" the answer remains: Yes and No. Yes the boss should inform the Human resource department or fascimile thereof, in order to process the termination paperwork. Yes the boss can inform the staff for security reasons. Informing them does not necessarily mean though the full disclosure of the termination. A terminated employee still retains some rights on disclosure of information from its recent employer. Especially if the termination is open to future letigations by the recent employee.

Beth3

"A terminated employee still retains some rights on disclosure of information from its recent employer. Especially if the termination is open to future letigations by the recent employee."

Once again, huh? Please cite your legal reference which limits an employer's ability to inform anyone they please why an employee was terminated. In fact, an employer may put up a billboard and announce that "Joe Smith was terminated for poor job performance" or stealing, or absenteeism, or any other truthful reason.

An employer may be ill-advised to take such action but that's a different matter entirely than implying that some law prohibits it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">