• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can bosses rehire for laid off position?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kitties&bunnies

What is the name of your state? Michigan

If my bosses put me "on call" which is basically laying me off, I guess since they can't afford to pay me until their business gets better. Can they then hire a new person for my position (with lower pay that they can afford) without my knowledge and without first terminating my employment? Don't they have to call me first if they need someone to do my job, since I am technically "on call"? If they do hire someone without my knowledge/termination are there any legal options that I have against them? Please help! Thanks!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in the law requiring them to give you first preference at the job. They may legally lay you off and hire someone else for lower pay. They do NOT need to get your approval or permission. They do NOT need to call you first, regardless of your on-call status.

Based on the information in your post, you do not have any kind of case and can take no legal action against them.

The only exception would be if you could show (and you would need more than a feeling or a guess) that you were not called for the position BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40.

K

kitties&bunnies

thanks

Darn. Oh well. I just thought it would be good to know in case it happens, since I know the main reason they had to lay me off was due to financial problems. Thanks again and have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">