• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can companies refuse to hire me due to my bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chocolie

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I currently work as a temporary employee for a large company. I have applied for the open position for which I am temping, but I am concerned because due to my previous job loss 6 months ago, my husband and I just filed for bankruptcy. To get the temp job I had to submit a background test, which included a credit report. I am now concerned that even though I am currently doing this job that I am qualified for, I may not get it if they don't like what is on my credit report. Is it legal for companies to discriminate based on personal bankruptcies?

Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the large majority of cases, no. If you are applying for a job with a bank or a credit agency, possibly.

longneck

also, any copmany that deals with investments (broker dealers, incurance companines, real estate or property management, mutual fund companies, etc.) use your personal credit history in employment decisions.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
In the large majority of cases, no. If you are applying for a job with a bank or a credit agency, possibly.
In EVERY case the answer is YES.

Having a bankruptcy is not a protected status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">