• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can company keep money I paid for right to work and money withheld for future payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

ds1

I live in CA. I answered an ad for industrial sales. The company I responded to is based in NJ. They required I pay them in advance $49 for demo items and sales kit. They required me to pay $350 up front which was to be refunded to me upon completion of 12 week training program.They claim the $350 is to discourage people who are not serious. They have a program that utilizes a trainer who comes to you for 2 days/wk. He/she makes sales, you provide transportation and time. He/she keeps commission you get a client for future sales. They withhold 25% of your commission to be paid back week by week after the 12th week. They pay commissions weekly. I worked for them for over a month before recieving any pay. By that time I was so discouraged and disillusioned with this company that I wrote them a letter outlining my concerns, offering to return all company material in exchange for my $399 plus the withheld 25% of my commissions. So far, no response to letter or phone calls. Do I have any recourse? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">