• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer collect relocation costs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hudsonhillbilly

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

Hello, I have an offer of employment in Michigan. The new employer is willing to relcoate me, paying for moving costs, real estate commissions, closing costs, airline tickets, and so on. They wish for me to sign an agreement to the effect that if I voluntarily resign or am "terminated for cause" within 12 months of the start date, that I will refund all these costs. I have no problem with being there more than 12 months, but under what circumstances could they "terminate for cause"? If business starts going bad and they start laying off, it seems like they could make up any excuse eleven months from now and make me pay $$$. Can you give me any advice on this?

Thanks is advance,

Hudson

pattytx

"For cause" is generally determined by the employer, and I agree it is subjective. The only places I can think of where "cause" is legally an issue is Cobra eligibility and UI benefits. However, "cause" is often defined as a violation of the company rules, policies, and procedures. In other words, something the employee does. Nowhere I know would "cause" include layoffs, elimination of the position, etc.

Guess it just depends on whether you want to take the chance. You also might want to have the agreement reviewed by an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">