• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

employee10

In May 2001 my company filed Chapter 11 of the Federal Bankruptcy Code. This company is a major corporation with approximately 30,000+ employees. During the reorganization of Chapter 11 it decided to make the San Francisco office a project office, therefore force reducing 40 – 50% of the employees. On 6/25/01 I was unofficially told I would be one of the forced reduced unless our sister company in San Ramon pick me up. I immediately started sending resumes and decided an aggressive search was probably my best and only option.

On July 13, my supervisor advised me that the San Ramon office wanted my services including my current salary, title, etc. I told my supervisor I would probably take the offer (lifting the heavy weight from my shoulders), but I would like to sleep on it over the weekend. On Monday July 16, I verbally accepted the position. I was told it would take a couple of weeks to finalize the paper work. Then on July 20, I was told after thinking about it, they don’t need me in San Ramon.

I then started looking on line and found the comment, “employment begins when an offer of employment is made”. San Ramon sister office made me an offer and then backed out. I wrote our HR personnel stating that I believe this is an unfair labor practice. I wasted a day of vacation, stop looking for employment and they gave me that heavy weight back on my shoulders, only because somebody didn’t think about initially.

I am waiting to hear from HR now. Do I have a case or can employers legally treat employees like this?

Confused & Stressed in CA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">