• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an Employer fire an employee for not signing a non compete agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SCAngel78

:confused: Can an employee be fired if he refuses to sign a non compete agreement? My husbands company has restructured after a bankruptcy. In this restructuring my husband was demoted and had a $5,000 a year pay cut. This was totally unfair as it is but now they are insisting that he sign a non compete agreement. He was a manager in charge of service and sales for a certain department. He now drives a truck and services machines for this company. How can they ask him to sign a non compete agreement when the job he does now is not a competative one? They are doing this because they know he will try and find another job because of the demotion and pay cut. It takes time to find a job and they are harassing him daily to sign. He wants to know if they can fire him for not signing. This is in the State of South Carolina. <br>Thank you.

I'm not a lawyer, but have lived in SC as a manager and employee all of my life. South Carolina is what's called an 'at will' state. Employment can be terminated by either the employer or employee at any time for any reason. Yes, they can fire him for not signing the non-compete agreement.

Kevin

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Did the employer mention whether they were going to pay your husband any money for his signature - - or, is the employer merely demanding him to sign pending continued employment ?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">