• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer force me to travel internationally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbg19

What is the name of your state?Hello. I am a salaried technology professional living and working in California.

My employer is wanting me to take an extended business trip to India. I have not explicitly been ordered to go yet (just being pressured to volunteer), but I am certain that the order is coming. For a number of personal reasons, I very much do NOT want to make this trip. There is no mention of travel whatsoever on my job offer letter, and in fact, that was one of the big selling points for me accepting this position.

Can my employer legally force me to take the trip? I'm sure my name will be mud regardless for not volunteering to go, but I'd like to know what my rights are as an employee.

Thank you very much for any advice!

Beth3

Just to clarify Belize's answer, you can't be forced to go inasmuch as nobody is going to hold a gun to your head but if they want you to go and you refuse, they certainy can terminate your employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer cannot force you to go in the sense that no one is holding a gun to your head. However, you can legally be fired for refusing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">