• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a employer force you to work for them for certain time or make u stay home jobles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prasu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I am a consultant working through a consulting company. According to the contract, I will have to work for them for at least 1 year, or I will have to pay $10,000 as a compensation. Also, I am not allowed to quit the job for this (1 year) period. However the company can terminate the contract or fire me anytime for any /without any reason; and they are not obliged to to pay me anything.

The contract also states that during this (1 year) period I can't work with any other company other than them. And even after 1 year (2nd year), I am not allowed to work for any other company that were involved directly or indirectly during this first contract. It simply mean, work with them or stay home.

Now my question is, is it legally possible for the company to abide someone in such contract? Also, based on this type of contract, can a consulting company take any legal action against me?

Thank you !!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employer, not the employee, decides what hours you work. So Yes. They can.

If you want a more detailed answer than that, you need to provide a more detailed question.

eerelations

If you signed the contract, you are legally obliged to abide by it. If you breach the contract, the company has a legal right to sue you for breach of contract.

You should not have signed the contract if you weren't planning to abide by it.

Prasu

If you signed the contract, you are legally obliged to abide by it. If you breach the contract, the company has a legal right to sue you for breach of contract.

You should not have signed the contract if you weren't planning to abide by it.
Does this mean, a company can make any type of contract, either legal or illegal, and if someone signs that he has to abide it?? If that is what you are saying, then this is really sad !!

ecmst12

You would need to show the contract to a lawyer in your area to determine whether it is enforceable or not.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I am a consultant working through a consulting company. According to the contract, I will have to work for them for at least 1 year, or I will have to pay $10,000 as a compensation. Also, I am not allowed to quit the job for this (1 year) period. However the company can terminate the contract or fire me anytime for any /without any reason; and they are not obliged to to pay me anything.

The contract also states that during this (1 year) period I can't work with any other company other than them. And even after 1 year (2nd year), I am not allowed to work for any other company that were involved directly or indirectly during this first contract. It simply mean, work with them or stay home.

Now my question is, is it legally possible for the company to abide someone in such contract? Also, based on this type of contract, can a consulting company take any legal action against me?

Thank you !!
I would have a local attorney (who can read the actual contract) look over it and give you an opinion. Some of what you are describing sounds fairly normal, but other parts sound a little off. Someone really needs to be able to read the contract to advise you properly.

Mass_Shyster

If you have a valid employment contract that the employer can terminate without cause but you cannot terminate without cause, then there's a possibility that the contract is unenforceable.

Prasu

Did you receive a signing bonus when you went to work for them? Any specialized training?
I received some type of training but not specialized. And didn't received any signing amount or anything. I am not sure how that would justify the contract.

Although, I still didn't receive specific answer to this case, Thanks to all for your answers. I would really appreciate if someone can answer this. I think I will have to talk to some local legal advisers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">