• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer make a job offer, then realize they made a mistake and make me PAY?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bm2aguayo

I work for a company under a collective bargaining agrreement.(the company is under a federal contract)
3 and a half years ago I was offered employment as a recalled employee, with no loss of benefit.(from a company that had layed me off about 3 years) I accepted the offer.
Now they find in the c.b.a. that I should not have been recalled due to a time limitation.
Thay admit they made the mistake. However, they have reclassified me as a new hire with less benifets as of the date I was recalled assuming I would have accepted work as a new employee.
Thats not all, now they are making deductions of $145.00 a week untill they recoup over $10,000.00 they say they overpayed me if a had accepted employment as a new hire.
Im not reciving much help from the union.
Can they do this? Please help....

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Under the FLSA (fair labor standards act) and any state law, what they are trying to do by getting these deductions is illegal and called theft. You can sue them for the money they took plus interest.

They made a mistake, their loss.

May I suggest you hire a labor law attorney ASAP. http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">