• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an Employer make you live in there county to keep your job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lady Anne

I am a county employee. When I took the job I counted on living in the county where I am employeed, how ever we have decide to move to the next county over. I was told that I had to live in this county inorder to keep my job. I know that others live out of the county but was told that they lived there befor the new ordance went into effect. My question is can they fire me for moving from one coutny to another? I know that the Police officers do not have to live in the county due to a law That saids they can't force and State police office to live in anyone area.They must reside in the state. If you can help me find the answer or point me in the right direction I'd be gratefull.There are others where I work who are also wondering if they can do this to us..>

P

peter

YES they can........but YOU have to research the ordinace and see when did it take effect and which employees it covers, and even more important is there a grandfather clause, which means those before the date, dont have to live in the county,

N

newmom

I agree that, yes, they can force you to live in their county to work there. It's kind of like the comment I heard on the radio the other day about how the mayor of an Ohio city was vacationing in Northern Michigan!!! They didn't agree that he should be vacationing outside of the state he represents. How ever much I don't agree with the fact that people should be forced to vacation (or live in your case) in a certain spot because of where they live, I can see the point. Why would you not want to live in the county you WORK for??

My dad works for the city - they are required to live within a 5 mile radius of the city limits. It's not just your state - it's all states!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">