• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can employer open my mail? california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimkay99

What is the name of your state? california

My employer opened personal mail addressed to me. Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If it was sent to you at your employer's address, yup, it sure is.

Bottom line; if you don't want your personal mail read by someone at the office, have it mailed to you at home.

Beth3

This is one of the rare times cbg and I aren't on the same page. While no laws prevent your employer from opening your personal mail, there is a fair amount of emerging case law that is regarding the employer overstepping their boundaries when it comes to an employee's privacy. I have read of several court decisions lately where the employer was held civilly liable for opening an employee's mail that was clearly personal.

cbg is exactly right however when she said that if you don't want this to happen, have your personal mail sent to your home.

theladywolf

Mail openning

It is illegal for anyone to open your mail with out your permition.It doesn't matter where it is sent to.Rather it would be at home or at work.They can be charged with a felony. The best advise would be for you to have all your mail sent to your home or P.O to be safer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ladywolf, that's simply not true.

I know what Beth is referring to, but at the present time as the law currently stands if mail is addressed to the employer's address, they do have the right to open it. I'm not saying that may not change and I'm not saying they should do it, but the law has not been violated.

The poster should not be having personal mail delivered to the office in any case. That's simply inappropriate no matter how you slice it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">