• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer retroactively cancel health insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnreeves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.
My husband was let go from his job on Aug. 11. He was told that health insurance would continue through the end of the month. As of Sept. 1 we switched to my employer health insurance. Now we have just found out that his employer retroactively canceled his health insurance effective July 31, not Aug. 31. The insurance company is refusing to pay for doctor visits and procedures during August -- of which there were many. I am pregnant and had several OB appointments, ultrasounds, screenings and an amniocentisus. Most of these were before Aug. 11.
The insurance company says they cannot change the date of termination of coverage, only the employer can.
Is this legal? What recourse do we have?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is going to be a matter of the policy language, not the law. You're going to have to take a look at the plan document (they are required to provide it to you on request) and see what it says about when coverage ends.

dawnreeves

They say they "allow" retroactive terminations up to 90 days and that your employer is supposed to notify you. How is that possibly legal?

ecmst12

You should be able to pay for Cobra coverage for that month though. Probably cheaper then paying for all those visits/tests out of pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">