• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employers ask these kind of questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maredot

What is the name of your state?Colorado

I went to an inerview and it started out pretty good until the employer asked me if I had any disabilities, then she asked if I had any disorders that can make me ill. She also asked if I had any kids.

After answering the questions she told me to call back later. I kept called back at the time that she told me too. She kept telling me to call back later.
Mean while my neighbor over heard a conversation about me. She said that they will not hire me because of all the reasons above. So I called again and she told me that she found all the employees that she needed. They are still hiring people.

I called again and asked why she didn't hire me and she said that she can not disclose that with me. Does that sound like discrimination?

Beth3

I went to an inerview and it started out pretty good until the employer asked me if I had any disabilities An employer may not ask that question until after a job offer is made, unless the candidate brings up the subject himself.

then she asked if I had any disorders that can make me ill Borderline question. See above.

She also asked if I had any kids. Legal.

I called again and asked why she didn't hire me and she said that she can not disclose that with me. Does that sound like discrimination? Since we don't know the answers you gave to questions 1 & 2, how can we possibly say? If you replied that you are in perfect health, then the questions you were asked are irrelevant.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Asking if you had any kids was not illegal; nor would be refusing to hire you because of how you answered the question. Parental status is not protected under either Federal or Colorado law.

As for the rest, it depends on EXACTLY how the question was worded. It would not be illegal to ask if there was any reason, meaning disabilities or illnesses, that would prevent you from being able to perform the job. It would be illegal to simply ask about disabilities unless you raised the subject yourself. And it would definitely be illegal to refuse to hire you SOLELY because you were disabled. (It would not be illegal to refuse to hire you because you were not qualified for the job, disabilities or not.)

How does your neighbor know why you were not hired? And DO you have any disabilitites?

Beth3

No they can not ask these questions !Thats a lawsuit

We've already covered the ADA. Care to give us a legal cite regarding the kids???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">