• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employers hold a paycheck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gracey62

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My daughter (19 years old) was fired/quit from her job in a "healthy fast food" restaurant last week. She took a $50 bill from a customer & their policy is not to do such. Afterwards, the manager started yelling at her in front of both the customers and other employees (before this she had been told she was a "model" employee). The manager proceeded to "air" my daughter's private life, screaming out all the details in front of both customers & employees, and then the manager's daughter jumped in & put in her 2cents worth as well.

My daughter basically told them both to kiss her ***, and walked out. My question is this: Will she be able to pick up her last paycheck with no problems -- legally, they can't hold her check can they? The manager has made remarks about other employees that quit & said that she was going to hold their checks for months.

Thanks

Beth3

No, they can't hold her paycheck. Illinois law requires that the paycheck of an employee who quits be provided "at once if possible, but not later than the next payday."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">