• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can employers sue employees for this in nj ????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crunchy

can an employer sue an ex "employee" in nj for damages to a vehicle that occured while an employee was performing his job. there was no written or implied agreement to pay. no fault or negligence can be proved. thanx experts.

L

lawrat

Depends on the circumstances. BUt I would argue that if you had no notice, no written or verbal understanding, you don't have to pay.

C

crunchy

of course thats the argument, but i am still trying 2 figure out under what rights or laws they can sue an employee if they cannot prove negligence. this is a small claims matter, even though im guessing it makes no difference. i tryed to look it up but cany find it anywhere as of yet. i couldnt find anything in an employment law book.isnt there some kind of employee exemption doctrine or law besides "respondeat superior". opinions are welcome. where are all the hotshots on this one!! ha ha, just kidding. thanx.

[Edited by crunchy on 07-12-2001 at 03:41 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">