• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can former church employer prohibit new job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kanthony

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a clergyman in a hierarchtical church, i.e. Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Orthodox that was under the authority of a local bishop. I served at a church for 3+ years on a part-time basis and was paid a salary. The bishop replaced me with another clergyman and wanted to reassign me to another community 70 miles away, no relocation package and at 1/2 the pay. I refused the reassignment.

I now have another church that is willing to hire me, however, according to my religious tradition the former bishop must "release" me to the new church. I am unable under our church laws/canons to accept the new position without a written release from one bishop to the another bishop who will be accepting me.

In other words, I am being denied the ability to earn a living because of spite. The first bishop has no use for me, yet he will not allow me to serve somewhere else.

Do I have any recourse?

K

kanthony

There is no appeal to a higher "earthly" authority. The bishops have absolute authority. The only solution is legal recourse because they too have to answer to the laws of the land.

JETX

Since there is no intervening authority, your only options are to try to resolve this matter or litigation; however, I am not sure if the court has a right to force the church to take an 'internal' action.

I would suggest you contact a local attorney who could at least review your facts and advise if there is any recourse. And more importantly, how many thousands of $$ you will need to bring a case forward.

K

kanthony

This is not an internal matter. It would be one different church organization releasing to another church organization. For example, Russian Orthodox releasing to Romanian Orthodox. These are different non-profit/church entities. The beliefs are the same, however, their administration is different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">