• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a govt. agency offer employment then withdraw the offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rx2man

This is in Arizona with the AZ Dept. of Corrections. I'll answer the question myself, it's looking like they can do this, but is it legal. I applied with the AZ DOC. I went through all the hiring steps passed and completed blood/UA tests, physical tests push ups/sit ups, step test, blood pressure etc. Passed a medical review board for a ruptured muscle in my leg. Was given a letter of employment and scheduled for the academy. Now the employment was not a conditional letter in that it is given to you in the begining with the stipulation that you must complete a hiring process. I have completed everything and was called to be scheduled for the academy and recd. the "offer of employment". Decided to relocate and bought a house close to where I would be working. 2 days ago I recd. a call that I was back under medical review and my academy class date has been cancelled. I spoke with EEOC and was told that an agency is not allowed to do this as I had completed all steps in the process, and was offered employment. Will I win this in the end going EEOC, better to get an attorney now? I have the # for one that likes to take it to the state.

Last edited:

mitousmom

Did the state explain to you why you were back under medical review and what they are looking at? And what does being back under medical review mean? Has the state rescinded its offer of employment?

Did EEOC indicate what it thought the state was violating and why? I'm assuming that undergoing a medical exam and other physical tests are a standard part of the hiring process.

rx2man

Yes the medical exam, etc. is part of the hiring process and I passed all. EEOC states that if I passed all the requirements that anyone else passed and was offered a job, then DOC cannot come back and then not hire me due to the muscle tear.

A couple months ago I did the medical, the Dr would not pass me as I had a restriction, I am not going to be albe to complete the mile and a half in 14.35. DOC knew this from the begining and stated that I would be albe to do a bicycle lest instead of the run. DOC also told me that the run times are based on age, and that an older person would not have to run as fast and I could run at my own pace with the slower cadets. That I needed to get my Dr. to clear me to participate in physical training. My Dr. did so and added on his clearence letter that I should take the bicycle test. This was submitted for medical review.

I cleared the medical review and I was then offered employment on 04/17, and a academy class date of 04/29. Two days ago on 04/27 I received a call from the same people who advised me to see my Dr. regarding the letter and bicycle test that I basically had a restriction and that I needed to have my Dr. write another letter stating I was cleared to participate in physical training, with no restrictions, that they had to make the determination that I would take the bicycle test. I went to my Dr's office after receiving the call on 04/27 and my Dr. provided me with a letter clearing me. I called DOC before leaving to make sure that this was what they wanted. They told me to go back in and have my Dr. add to the letter how this was determined (that I was cleared to participate). I went back in and my Dr. got pissed off and said something to the effect that this is not that complicated, if you run too much with scar tissue etc that you are going to aggrivate the area. Unfortunatly that is exactly what he wrote along with, that I was able to tolerate strength training but that again with increased use the conditions worsened. Of course when they got this they said well this does not help. So I am now waiting for occupational health to review my case. Some other part of the DOC organization. I spoke with DOC again this am and was told that what the Dr said about my condition worsening with extended running did not help. Its true if I run 2 miles 3 days a week my leg is sore. But I run and its is better now, my leg does not hurt all day long like it did. I just cant run a 13.45 mile and a half.

This of course does not do me any good as I went and put down some earnest money on a house and signed all the paperwork, as I was hired.

I contacted an atty. here in Phoenix that has delt with the state several times and was recommended by the union but they wont be able to see me until week after next. Occupational health reviews my case on the 7th. So I may be going to see the atty. without a job and be wondering what I can do to seek damages. I will loose a spec home with alot of options that I would not have been able to afford if I built it to spec without the builder discounts. As well as earnest money. Not to mention I have not told the wife, she has a general anxiety disorder and this will not help.

I am just wondering if what DOC did is legal? Have my go through the hiring process, pass everything offer me a job and then take it away? And what recourse do I have if they do come back and not hire me.

mitousmom

I'm not sure what federal law DOC has violated. It's unlikely that your medical condition, a muscle tear, is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which the EEOC enforces.

My guess is that DOC can rescind its job offer if evidence indicates that you are not medically cleared to perform the job or undergo training without injuring yourself or aggravating an existing injury. If I understand the facts you have presented, it doesn't appear that your doctor has cleared you to participate without restrictions. He's bascially told them if you put him through the training, it will make your injury worse. Your doctor didn't say that you could run at a slower pace without aggravating your injury.

However, your best bet is to present your case to an attorney familiar with DOC and its requirements and let hiim/her advise you on how to proceed.

rx2man

I am also unsure if my condition is covered by the ADA. I was wondering if the EEOC regs apply to me as well. You are correct, the Dr. has cleared me to participate but that extended running could aggravate the injury. Guess I will see what the lawyer has to say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">