• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he fire me for not being home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wife w/question

What is the name of your state? Texas

A few weeks ago a friend of mine got me a job at the same company she works at. A few days after I applied, the General Manager called me in for an interview. I went and everthing went smoothly and I went to the orinantation( I think I spelled that right ) . Anyway I was finally notified that I had been hired on as Assistant Manager, and that the District Manager wanted to have a meeting with me so I could take a drug test and all the extra stuff that management has to do. Well I called the District Manager yesterday morning about 8:30am he said "I'll call you back later this morning and we can set up a meeting" I said ok and we hung up. Well I waited and waited untill around 2:00pm and he never called. Finally I had to go, I had some errands to run. Important stuff. Anyway, when I got home I checked my answering machine and my caller ID and no call from this District Manager. Well I called my friend to see if she has talked to him. She told me that he had called her earlier that day. When I got off the phone with her I called him and explained that I had some errands to run and I appoligized if he had tried to call, he never said weather he did or not, but I know he did not because it did not show up on my caller ID.
Anyway, my friend called me a few minutes ago and told me that I had messed up my chance of ever being Assistant Manager or even being hired for a regular hire, because the district manager had tried to get in touch with me all day.

My question is: Can they fire me for not being home??

I never even knew he had called, much less "trying to get in touch with me all day". If he called it would show up on my caller ID.

I think I have put all the details in here, if anyone can help or have any more questions in order to help, please let me know

S

seniorjudge

Q: Can they fire me for not being home??
A: Yes.

Well I called the District Manager yesterday morning about 8:30am he said "I'll call you back later this morning and we can set up a meeting" I said ok and we hung up. Well I waited and waited untill around 2:00pm and he never called. Finally I had to go, I had some errands to run.

If you had not heard from DM by noon, you should've called. When you left, you blew it.

wife w/question

ok, thank you. I have another question. If he was planning on firing me why didn't he say anything when I finally spoke to him last night. I'm sorry I think I forgot to put that in there, I was afraid that would happen, anyway, I did speak with him last night around 6:00pm. I just don't understand why he didn't tell me last night that I was fired.

Also after I posted my first message, I called and spoke with him and he still acted like everything was fine he said he would call me in the morning and we could get together tomorrow afternoon, Was he just blowing smoke up my @$$ or what? I'm so confused. lol thank you for your info.

pattytx

This may or may not be fair, but it isn't illegal. Looks like he was looking for an excuse and he found one. Sorry this happened.

S

seniorjudge

wife w/question said:
ok, thank you. I have another question. If he was planning on firing me why didn't he say anything when I finally spoke to him last night. I'm sorry I think I forgot to put that in there, I was afraid that would happen, anyway, I did speak with him last night around 6:00pm. I just don't understand why he didn't tell me last night that I was fired.

Also after I posted my first message, I called and spoke with him and he still acted like everything was fine he said he would call me in the morning and we could get together tomorrow afternoon, Was he just blowing smoke up my @$$ or what? I'm so confused. lol thank you for your info.
I don't know that person and thus I am unable to answer any of your questions.

Sounds like a lousy place to work.

You have only heard from your friend that your chances are blown...the DM hasn't told you that as of yet.

Just a thought...maybe he did try to call you, or what he thought was you, but was dialing the wrong number all day, and leaving messages at someone else's house. Did you ask him to verify the number he is calling, since you are concerned that he has tried to call, but you have no record of it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">