• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I accept another job after I accepted one first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

welphd

What is the name of your state?
NJ

I have 2 interviews coming up. They're a few weeks apart. They are for permanent positions, not contract or temp jobs. Say, if the first company makes an offer and I accept it by signing the offer letter, then after 2 weeks the second company makes a better offer. Can I accept the 2nd offer and not going to the first company? I mean are these offer letters legally binding? Thanks!

Zephyr

welphd said:
What is the name of your state?
NJ

I have 2 interviews coming up. They're a few weeks apart. They are for permanent positions, not contract or temp jobs. Say, if the first company makes an offer and I accept it by signing the offer letter, then after 2 weeks the second company makes a better offer. Can I accept the 2nd offer and not going to the first company? I mean are these offer letters legally binding? Thanks!
why don't you hold off on signing anything, until you can review both, if any offers.

welphd

WANNACRY said:
why don't you hold off on signing anything, until you can review both, if any offers.
Based on my past experience, they usually give a week time to accept or decline the offers. I don't think I can wait for the 2nd interview to be finished.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although snostar is technically correct, it is VERY seldom that an offer letter constitutes a binding contract. Unless the offer guarantees that you will work for a specified term of employment, the likelihood is that you will be able to change your mind and accept a second offer, if a second offer is forthcoming. We abolished slavery in this country quite some time ago; it is rare that someone is required to keep working for a particular employer if they would prefer to be working somewhere else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">