• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i break a job contract if I have not yet started to work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

galastur

Hi All,

I live in the UK and I have a "simple" question.

I have been offered a Job. They have sent me the contract to sign and work will start on December. However, I have been offered another job (for which I will not have to move! the job I took is 700 Km away). Anyway, my question is, can I take this second job eventhough I have signed the contract with the other company? Will I be breaking any law?

I will really appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
US Law only.

The law in the US and the UK is very different and none of the responders here are experts in UK law.

eerelations

'Bout 500-ish. However, I find it strange that the OP used kms in his/her post, given that the UK is still on the miles system.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I will grant you that it's been 12 years since I was last in England, but they were using km's then.

eerelations

Well, some of 'em may be using KMs, but if so, it's very reluctantly. The EU has been haranguing 'em to use Euros and KMs for decades, and many Brits have been fighting this tooth and nail. I do remember some people/stores/hotels in London using Euros when I was there a few months ago, so maybe they're using KMs there too (London being somewhat more cosmopolitan than other parts of GB).

But when I was in Manchester/Liverpool/Scotland in 2000, they were definitely using miles - my husband and I were a bit annoyed at this because KMs go by so much faster than miles when you're driving on a boring freeway (and we know this 'cause Canada's on the KM system).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Euros didn't exist when I was last there, and I was in the south that visit - it was definitely km's there. London and then Cornwall mostly. Last time I was in the north was 20 years ago and I don't remember what it was then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">