• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I collect unemployment benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dg1536

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I worked for an employer for 6 years. I had some personal problems last year that caused me to become dispassionate about my work. This was noticed by the employer and eventually led to my being terminated. However, the situation was amicable. I was given a 30-day transition period and was offered freelance work after my departure.

However, the work environment is hostile. It is a small company and the owner often has temper tantrums, yelling and cursing at employees. He had one such episode this morning directed at me. Unable to work any longer in the situation I told him I had to leave.

Will I be eligible for unemployment under these conditions?

Thanks!

Beth3

That's really impossible to say. We don't know (a) whether your employer will contest the claim and (b) if they do, whether your "dispassionate" job performance amounts to willful misconduct under your State's UC reg's. All you can do is apply and see what happens.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, what you describe does NOT meet the legal definition of a hostile work environment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">