• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I collect unemployment or something?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

For the past two years I have been working part-time (20 hours) as a computer technician and taking some college courses (3-4 hours) on the side. I have been living with my parents; their belief is that since I am going to school that they are willing to pay my living expenses since I live at home and not in a dorm or anything. This has been working out well until now. To make a long story short, I am losing my job due to a new eyebrow ring. I am not looking at removal of the piercing as an option. Instead, my parents said I could either stop working alltogether and go to school full-time, get a new job, or both. The only problem is with the bad timing; I would like to go to school during the normal semesters; they want me to go during the summer. So, they have since given me the ultimatum to get a job--now. I'd love to be able to collect unemployment or something to pay them the "rent" they want (but do not honestly need) until I am employed again. This has been a very upsetting event for me, and since I have been given such a hard time by then, would love to do something like that on principle. I know I am not the only person in this world with visible piercings or tattoos. How do others in my situation manage to modify their bodies and work at the same time?

pattytx

What other people do is remove the unallowed jewelry and go back to work. Your employer has every right to demand a certain appearance and to prohibit such types of visible piercings or any other attire they choose. They have the right to fire you if you don't. You have the right to quit and find another job if you don't want to comply with the employer's requirements. There is no legal issue here. And quitting because the employer refused to let you do something they have every legal right to ask you to do will result in no unemployment benefits for you.

I take it from your post that you are probably relatively young and early in your working life. A friendly word of general advice here. You will find as you mature that you can't always do exactly what you want, all the time, anywhere you want to. The sooner you learn that and take it to heart, the better.

Last edited:

zippysgoddess

You will find this is not the only employer who frowns upon visible body piercings and such. Remove the brow ring or suffer the consequences. You will not collect unemployment for this, they will consider that you willfully declined the conditions of your employment.

Beth3

Many employers frown on visible body piercings and tatoos. Unless you want the kind of work where nobody cares what you look like (which I very much doubt; those aren't positions in the upper 4/5's of the "food chain"), then your option is to either (a) remove the eyebrown ring during working hours, or (b) extensively limit your employment prospects.

It's entirely your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">