• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I convert my name without legally changing it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

churnt15

Philadelphia, PA

I was thinking about converting my first name from the spanish version to the english for employment and cashing checks.

Can I do this without having to get going through the legal process. If so can I still keep my existing Drivers license?

Beth3

Sure. If your employer will agree to it, you can call yourself ChuckECheese and have your payroll checks made out accordingly. (Chances are your employer will only make your checks out to your legal name however.) You'll run into varying difficulties though, such as confusion with the social security administration and possibly the IRS when they start getting information under your SS number with two different names. You may also run into problems with your credit history and cashing checks when your ID has a different name that the check does.

My advice is don't do it. Either change your name legally or stick with your birth name for "formal" purposes and just have your friends call you by the English version of your name if you prefer that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">