• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

campt

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Does an employer have to right to disclose information to other people regarding why I was fired?
I was let go because of a lie that my boss told but I was an 'at will' employee so I could not do anything about it. My employers then held a meeting with all of their 'clients' and told them a totally different reason for me being gone (implying that I was a bad employee...even though there is not anything in my file to prove that). After that meeting, my employer meet with a couple clients and in her anger admitted that they had lied at the meeting and told them the reason that I was fired. Is this allowed? Can I do anything about it?

JETX

campt said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
Does an employer have to right to disclose information to other people regarding why I was fired?
I was let go because of a lie that my boss told but I was an 'at will' employee so I could not do anything about it. My employers then held a meeting with all of their 'clients' and told them a totally different reason for me being gone (implying that I was a bad employee...even though there is not anything in my file to prove that). After that meeting, my employer meet with a couple clients and in her anger admitted that they had lied at the meeting and told them the reason that I was fired. Is this allowed? Can I do anything about it?
If you could prove that the comments were made with negligence and/or malice AND that you were damaged by them, you MIGHT have a defamation claim. But they are expensive and complex, making it usually not worth the cost of pursuing.

So, exactly how were you 'damaged'.... and do you have a couple thousand $$ to try to bring an action against them??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, the generic answer to your question is, yes, an employer absolutely has the right (and in some cases, the duty) to disclose the reason you were fired to others. Nothing whatsoever in the law requires that information be kept confidential.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">