• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rika

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Recently I have had some trouble at work. I am a student (age 17) in high school. The problem is that I was scheduled to work on the same day of a mandatory school function (District contests for my Chorus class). I requested the day off on the day before the actual contest because I was not aware about the scheduling conflict before then. Unfortunately I was the only person working that night, and extended efforts to find a replacement to come in had failed. To keep it short, they needed me to come in and couldn't give me that day off. I made the decision to go to the school function. The next day I was recieved a one day suspension from work as well as a comment from my supervisor that he/she "doesn't know whats going to happen regarding the incedent, but it doesnt look good." Can I be fired for this?

JETX

"Can I be fired for this?"
*** Yes. You can be terminated for any reason whatsover, reasonable, excused or not.
Simply, you are an 'at will' employee. This means that your employer can terminate you..... and you can quit, without either of you needing to explain your actions.

HomeGuru

Rika said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

Recently I have had some trouble at work. I am a student (age 17) in high school. The problem is that I was scheduled to work on the same day of a mandatory school function (District contests for my Chorus class). I requested the day off on the day before the actual contest because I was not aware about the scheduling conflict before then. Unfortunately I was the only person working that night, and extended efforts to find a replacement to come in had failed. To keep it short, they needed me to come in and couldn't give me that day off. I made the decision to go to the school function. The next day I was recieved a one day suspension from work as well as a comment from my supervisor that he/she "doesn't know whats going to happen regarding the incedent, but it doesnt look good." Can I be fired for this?
**A: you clearly made the wrong choice.

R

Rika

It's not illegal?

I heard that it was quite illegal to fire a student for attending a MANDATORY school event. Is this not true?

JETX

"I heard that it was quite illegal to fire a student for attending a MANDATORY school event. Is this not true?"
*** Correct. It is NOT true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">