• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I had posted earlier in the week which has now led me to ask this question.
I had spoken with a customer who called in about a product and upon believing she was in this field asked if she would be a contact for me. This customer called back 2 days later and we spoke again, although she refused to be my contact because she lied about who she was, I am now concerned that the retail company I work for may fire me. Now when you call into the store you don't get a pre-recorded message stating this is being recorded for training purposes etc. However, I have heard from others that they still record "listen" to all calls coming in and out of the store. I thought that both parties had to be warned of the recording, not just employees?

Betty

Agree.

They can fire you for any reason at any time except for a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender....) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

bfu

Yes, I understand I can be fired because I talked about looking for another job over the phone, they virtually will find anything to fire anyone at their will, I've witnessed that myself within the 5 years working here. What I'm trying to ask here, is I believe that in order to record a conversation in CA, both parties have to be notified they are being recorded, not just the employee. I had always understood we were not being recorded. The customer or anyone calling the store does not hear the notification message they are going to be recorded. So is it legal for them to record the conversation between myself and the customer and used it against me. If it can be proven thats what they are firing me over and how they obtained the information.

swalsh411

No that's not illegal either. The party calling the store may have a case against your employer since CA is a two party notification State but you do not. When you are on the clock your employer can record you for quality purposes, and you are obviously aware they are doing it.

bfu

Thanks to all

Thank you to everyone who had responded to this post and my other post.
I read through the employee handbook, I'm an assistant manager and looked through all the companies policy information forms. I see nothing indicating they do record, however, we live in a world that not everything is disclosed at all times. I will therefore hope for the best I just don't like sitting on pins and needles waiting to be approached. I have seen people get fired over things they did 3-4 months prior. Maybe I will take this moment in my life and re-analyze the possiblity of going back to school part-time and get into that field I am interested in. That woman did tell me 5 different websites to visit, Americorps, SCA and to contact locally organizations in the field, (forest service) that I may have to volunteer but I can come away with better contacts than her, who knows, right? Maybe good will come out of that call with her afterall.
Again, thanks to all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">