• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be Fired for being sick?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ccwhenworth75

:confused: I am a California Resident and this last week end I came down ill. My employer has fired me as near as I can figure because I did not get in direct contact with the manager. How ever I left 2 messages letting them know that I was sick and could not make it in. I spoke with my manager the following morning and was told that the owner wanted me fired, but that he was going to talk to him that evening and try to help me out on this. I do not have a history of being sick. The following day I talked to my manager and he told me that he could not do any thing for me and that I was fired. I did see a doctor and I have broncitus and a sinus infection. I work in the resturant bussiness and did not want to infect others. I have had no bad marks for the six months that I have worked there. Any responce would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

The can fire you for any reason. Does your company have a policy for sick leave? Did you call and leave your message at a reasonable time and actually during a time when you might reach them live? Did they try to call you and did you answer the phone? Did you go to the doctor and get a work release slip? What kind of work and how long employed?

Beth3

It doesn't appear they want to fire you for being sick with the flu for a day or two (although they can) but rather because you didn't speak directly with your manager. That may be unreasonable (depending on the circumstances and company policy) but it's not unlawful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">