• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired between the time I let me boss know I'm leaving and the date I leave.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Guilherme

I am an engineer and work for a ship design company that is owned by a multi-national company based in Virginia.

In 9 weeks I will leave the company to go back to school to study a full-time Masters. I'm debating when to notify my boss that I'll be leaving. I was originally going to give my boss a two weeks notice. This doesn't necessarily give him enough time to replace me, if needs be.

Therefore I was debating notifiying my boss that I'd be leaving up to eight weeks prior to my departure. The question is, can I be fired during that time specifically because I am leaving? I can understand that if my productivity or working habits declined then that would be grounds for firing, but in the event that my productivity and work habits do not change, can I legally be fired during that period? How does this apply to the two weeks notice?

Sincerely,
Guilherme

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">