• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be fired for dating a co worker?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jorge305

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
can i be fired for dating a co worker? they don't even have proof they are just going by what a co worker says that is harassing us.

Mass_Shyster

Unless you have a contract, you can generally be fired for anything, including dating a co-worker, or having a bad haircut.

If you are fired, you can apply for unemployment.

Under the same theory, you can quit your job because they won't hire your girlfriend, or because you don't like the color of your paycheck.

csi7

Yes, you can be fired.
The co-worker that is hassling you, keep track of all incidents, and stay professional around this co-worker.

swalsh411

Don't confront this person. Don't argue with them. Don't try to "set the record straight" with co-workers. Avoid this person as much as possible. If management asks you, tell the truth but do not get defensive or act like some great injustice has been done. Do what you are paid to do and do your best to ignore it. In the end you will end up looking better.

Employers will often fire both employees because they don't want to deal with the drama, even if one of them has done nothing wrong. They probably get applications every day from people wanting jobs so why should they waste time dealing with it?

commentator

Absolutely. Florida is a very employer friendly state. They can fire you for just about anything they want to, including they don't like your socks. But don't discuss it, deny it if the situation is questioned by the employer, stop talking about the whole dramatic thing with your co-workers, and just do your job.

Yes, they can, if they feel like it, they can, but don't push it and it will likely die, in other words. By the way, if it's an issue, don't date your co-workers. If you decide you're going to date, one of you should find another job.

Beth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida
can i be fired for dating a co worker? they don't even have proof they are just going by what a co worker says that is harassing us.
So ARE you dating a co-worker?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One caveat - don't deny it if it is, in fact, true. Doesn't matter whether they have "proof" or not - they don't NEED proof. But lying is going to get you fired just as quickly, and it will be a lot easier to find another job when the answer to "why did you leave your last position" is "There was a company policy against fraternization and I was dating the receptionist so I left" than if it is "I lied about whether I was violating a company policy or not".

I think that times are changing and you have a slight chance in succeeding. Dating & mating are natural biological activities.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the workplace unless he is a lab technician.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">