• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired for repeating a rumor I heard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsomehelp999

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Can I be fired for repeating a rumor I heard? Two coworkers and myself were discussing various rumors we heard going around the office. One of my coworkers mentioned a rumor about a specific man and woman. I stated that I heard that the woman was actually dating someone else, another woman. This was something that was told to me and I wasn’t really thinking about it being something that would offend. It’s a common rumor around our office, but someone overheard me mention it and filed a complaint against me. I was brought into an office with a manager, supervisor, and the head of our HR department. They I was implicated and if I didn’t say it, I needed to tell them who did. I explained that I had repeated the rumor I had heard, but I did not start the rumor and was just a part of a larger conversation and was not said in a derogatory way. Does my saying, “I heard x was dating y” constitute defamation and can be fired. Thank you in advance for you response.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, saying that you heard x was dating y does not consitute defamation.,

Yes, you can be fired for saying it.

needsomehelp999

Ok. One more question. If I was told the rumour, then told someone else the rumour, and they then told someone else the rumor, who told yet another person the rumor and they went and told the person who the rumor was about. Can my employer fire just me even though it was spread around by several different people and was not originated by me? Everyone, including myself, has had the same response when questioned, "XYZ told me."

Renee3

A question you might ask...

If HR or management interviews you or holds some type of meeting with you to ask you about the rumor, and disciplines or fires you for repeating the rumor: you certainly can ask them if others who repeated the rumor are also being disciplined or fired. If they are being disciplined, you can ask if the discipline is the same as yours. You can also ask if person XYZ who seems to have started the rumor is recieving a worse punishment.

Of course, HR or management most likely won't tell you the answers to these questions, but it never hurts to ask them. It's always good to check to see if punishment is being passed out equally.

ENASNI

well

needsomehelp999 said:
Ok. One more question. If I was told the rumour, then told someone else the rumour, and they then told someone else the rumor, who told yet another person the rumor and they went and told the person who the rumor was about. Can my employer fire just me even though it was spread around by several different people and was not originated by me? Everyone, including myself, has had the same response when questioned, "XYZ told me."
At the same time... if you found a shampoo that did wonders for your hair.. and you told a friend... and they told a friend and they told a friend and ...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, even if you were not the only one to repeat the rumor, you and only you can be fired for it.

Whether or not that would be either fair or appropriate depends on circumstances you have not provided. But it would not be illegal, unless you had a VALID reason to believe that you and only you were fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc.

Nothing in the law says that all employees have to be treated in exactly the same way across the board no matter what. An employer is allowed to take specific circumstances into consideration.

needsomehelp999

Ok... One more :) I probably should have mention this before. When I made the comment we were all "off the clock." This was a private conversation between coworkers/friends not on company time. The other person involved went back to work and discussed it while at work on company time. That being said, can what I say when im not on company time be held against me and used as a reason for termination.

Yes sir

I am very familar with this now. Unless your employer has broken the law when firing you, it's pretty much fair game. Believe me I know it sucks, but the law is not perfect.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can still be fired even if you were off the clock when you said it. Just because you were off the clock, doesn't mean that the remark will have no repercussions on the clock.

needsomehelp999 said:
Ok... One more :) I probably should have mention this before. When I made the comment we were all "off the clock." This was a private conversation between coworkers/friends not on company time. The other person involved went back to work and discussed it while at work on company time. That being said, can what I say when im not on company time be held against me and used as a reason for termination.[/QUOTE

YES.....why not. It is not illegal to do so.

ENASNI

oh boy

SINCITY89103 said:
needsomehelp999 said:
Ok... One more :) I probably should have mention this before. When I made the comment we were all "off the clock." This was a private conversation between coworkers/friends not on company time. The other person involved went back to work and discussed it while at work on company time. That being said, can what I say when im not on company time be held against me and used as a reason for termination.[/QUOTE

YES.....why not. It is not illegal to do so.
the Sinman is learning... can't tell a blonde is more fun though.. oh well I am too old for him anyway.. :p

hi cbg! how is the wine? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">