• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired on Workers Comp??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jeanette Harris

I guess the first thing that I need to know, is Colorado a free will state, one that can fire you for anything that the employer doesn't like?
There are several reasons I ask. I have been employed as a seasonal employee at the company I work for, for 2 seasons. A year ago in September, I was made a full time, permanent employee.
The first season I was here, I fell off some steps, wrecked my back, and my left knee. The back got better, the knee didn't. I ended up with scar tissue, and needed knee surgury, which I had in September of this year. The insurance company has paid for the surgury, and my benefits. They have been slow, but it has been paid.
My problem comes in not with the insurance company, but with my employer.
Nine days after surgury, 4 days after I gave my employer a note from the doctor, my boss terminated me. He not only terminated me from this division of the company I work for, but I was also terminated from the company. He gave me the excuse that they were ending my post. But meanwhile, I was waiting to recuperate so I could go to another division, something I was told I could do earlier in the year.
One of the benefits that I recieved was room and board. When I was terminated, I was also given a 29 day eviction order. At the time, I told the boss that it wasn't a legal eviction order, so I ignored it. A couple of weeks later, he gave me another eviction order, oral, for 19 days.
I have talked to the Depart. of Labor, and she is helping me. The company has offered me a "severance package", but I don't feel that it's very fair for all the harrassment that I have had to go through this entire season, loosing my benefits, etc..
I need to know what my rights are. Do I have any here in Colorado??
How can I find an attorney that will help me on a contingency basis??
My time is running out. Can someone help me out there??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">