• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legally be

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GBP

I work for a utility company in Maryland and I was just told that I will soon be placed "on call".
I'm not a salaried employee.
I will be "on call" two weeks out of every six weeks.
If I'm called in to work, I must report within 2 hours.
During the two week period that I'm "on call", I can not go far from home because I have to report to work within two hours. I'm not a drinker, but some of my coworkers are. They can not drink when they are on call because if they get called in, they are considered "not fit for duty".
I also want to add that I will not be compensated for being on call, I will only be compensated when I'm called in to work.I will also be required to carry a beeper.
I find it hard to believe that a company can control that much of my personal life.
Please help !

racer72

It is legal and a necessary part of many folks jobs. Ask anyone in the health care industry what it is like to be on call. And you state you work for a utility company, this seems to me that would be part of the job. Do you have a union representing the employees of the company and is it part of the union contract? Or when you were hired did you sign a terms of employment contract? What seems to be an inconvenience to you is security to us, the customers of your company. You also probably recieve premium pay if you are called in outside of your normal working hours. Plus I am sure that if you required off hours service from your power or gas utility, you would appreciate those employees that were called in. My job requires random drug tests so this means I can't get stoned even on my time. It comes with the job and I accept it. May not be the answer you wanted. Looking for another job is always an option.

G

GBP

I just want to address both of your questions.
We do not have a union representing us.
I also did not sign a term of employment contract when I was hired.
When we are called in, we do not receive any type of premium pay, unless of course at the end of the week we work more then 40 hrs.After 40 hrs. we will get overtime.
We also have random drug testing, plus an alcohol policy which basically says that you can not have a drink at lunch time and you can not have a drink 4 hrs before reporting to work.
I can understand that one must accept conditions when entering a company, as you stated, But in our company the conditions have evolved since I've been with the company.
Such as the "on call" situation and all of the above situations.
It's kind of hard to leave a company when you have 20 years of service.
Regardless, thanks for your opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">