• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I quit before the terms of my contract expire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

athens

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I am currently employed and the company is going through restructuring. I have been working for this company for 4 years, 1st as a consultant, then became an FTE on 01/02/07. I was given a sign-on bonus when I became an FTE. My contract states that i have to be employed for 12 months after receiving said bonus, if i leave before this time i have to reimburse my employer the Gross amount.
I recently returned from 8 weeks maternity leave. Due to the lay-offs of some of my co-workers I am now told to take over their projects, in addition to my own. I am under tremendous pressure because I value my "output" and has a good reputation as someone that gets the jod done. Now I have difficulty getting things done and overall the department seems to be in absolute chaos. I broke down a week ago and told my manager that I want to quit, because of all this stress. (Not condusive to my health or my families' wellbeing) He was not happy(seeing that there is now 1 less person to carry the workload!) and during the conversation he commented that "maybe you have post-partum depression, yes, and maybe you should go see a dr.!!" I was stunned, because this is not the case and he is not a health professional to make such a claim. I left it there. I went to HR, told them I want to quit and also mentioned I want to leave the Co. on good standing. They suggested I develop an exit strategy with my manager. I had a subsequent conversation with my manager, which was not friendly, he mentioned how "disappointed he was with me for wanting to leave, in addition to saying that I am doing the wrong thing because in March bonusses are due" At this point I just want to leave because no possitive communication is possible between me and my manager, and the work stress is unbearable. In addition, he has also discussed, what he believes my "alleged condition", with some of my co-workers. I am not happy about this.
What is my rights? I want to quit, I will offer to work 2 week's notice, effective immediately. I do not want to return the bonus because i believe my employer changed the terms of contract when my workload trippled. And i now have to travel frequently to another site, not previously under my scope.
Please advise.

ecmst12

You are going to have to show the contract to a local contract lawyer if you want to find out if it is enforceable in your situation.

las365

Make sure the attorney you consult with is familiar with employment law. It's possible that your manager is discriminating against you based on gender or that you are being retaliated against for taking maternity leave (was in paid or unpaid? Taken under the FMLA?)

I'm not suggesting that you do have a discrimination case, only that you review your situation with someone who is knowledgeable. Frankly, it sounds like there have been layoffs, the department is in chaos, and your manager is mad because he needs you and isn't handling you leaving very well.

And on a personal note, while his post-pertum depression comment was completely inappropriate, it couldn't hurt for you to talk to your doctor about the tremendous stress you are under due to work, plus the normal tremendous stress of having a new baby. Congrats on your baby and good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">