• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be rightfully terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaqberry

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am 57 and have been off from my job on short term disability for cancer treatment. My doctor informed me that I am now able to return to work. I called my boss to let him know and he stated to me that if I returned that he would have to lay someone off. It was implied that the someone would be me. I have more seniority than most I work with, am the only female and have always received outstanding reviews. Can they do this to me upon my return to work?

Beth3

jaqberry:

1. How long have you worked there?
2. How many people does this company employ?
3. How long have you been off work?

J

jaqberry

1. 15 years
2. it is a national corporation with offices throughout the US
3. 4 1/2 months

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then the answer to your question is yes, you can legally be terminated. You have been off work for more time than either Federal or Texas law guarantees you; your medical leave is no longer protected and return to work is not guaranteed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">