• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue My Ex-Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asl11456

i was fired from my job at a ny litigation law firm because i did not address the sr. partner as mr. since i was his secretary, i was told that i should address him as mr., as a matter of respect. all of the support staff addressed him as such, but the other partners in the firm addressed him by his first name.

i informed him that i would like to be addressed as mrs. and my last name if he wanted me to address him as such. two days later i was fired.

i had only been at the firm for a month, and was still on probation.

can i sue him and the firm for wrongful termination?

the firm has approximately 12 employees.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The facts as you have described them do not come even remotely close to a wrongful termination. Unless you are prepared to prove that you were REALLY fired because of your membership in a protected group, I think your best bet is to file for unemployment and look for another job.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

In my lawfirm, I make the rules. Do you know why ?

It's because I sign the paychecks.

It's understood by my staff, that when I make the rules, I expect them to be followed - - not questioned. While it has never gotten to this point, my employees know that when I say "jump", they say, "How high?"

When you get your own business, then you can make the rules. In the meantime, if this is the way you are in your first month of employment, then please, don't send me your resume'.

IAAL

C

clayrains

How arrogant!? If you don't think the lady could sue, you could simply tell her so and why. I don't think the other hateful comments are necessary.

I think her request to be treated with the same respect as she is asked to treat her employer is reasonable. If I remember right, she DID say that some attorneys at this firm called her boss by his first name. I suppose it's fine for everyone else, just not some lowly, wench of a secretery!?! I'm no lawyer, but I think there may be grounds for legal action because it sounds like a borderline case of discrimination.

This guy sounds like the fat, redneck a.s.s.h.o.l.e. that I work for! It's a shame that some people think they can throw the golden rule out the window simply because their signature is on someone's paycheck. And you wonder why some people, after being treated that way by people like him, take an uzi to work and blow their boss away!

Maam, my advice is not legal. In fact, I guess it is a free country if you own a business and you can run it the way you want. But you do have some possible options:

1. Try to find something like an extra-marital affair or something along those lines to blackmail him with.

2. Does the company run software programs that they are not licsensed to run? (ie Having three installations of Windows 2000, when they only have a license for one copy) Call the Business Software Alliance and report it. They can be fined big money!

3. Look into filing a sexual harrassment lawsuit. The courts often lean on the side of women, regardless of proof.

4. Does he frequently drink with business collegues? Follow him to a business meeting where you think drinks may be served, or wait until any time where he is visibly intoxicated. As soon as he heads to his vehicle, call the police with his location, license number and description of his vehicle and report him as a drunk driver that almost ran you off the road.

4. Find a good hit man and have the b.a.s.t.a.r.d. killed!

"If that's the way you are during your first month of employment, don't send me your resume`"... Who'd want to work for a prick like that anyway!?

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">