+ Reply to Thread
    bask2275 is offline Junior Member

Question Can I sue my manager personally?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I worked almost a year under an extremely hostile manager. In 9 months 6 employees quit. (I stayed for the great pay). Three months (Oct '05) the company hired an HR manager. Almost immediately there were several complaints made against my manger concerning his attitude and unprofessional conduct. He targeted me to the level that several co-workers complained that his treatment of me made them uncomfortable, as his berating was always very public. My abilities were severely limited due to the stress, the company acknowledged the situation and was very empathetic, however, within two weeks of filing my first complaint and three days after filing my second I was fired for my second error processing a job. He has since been terminated from the company.

My termination has eliminated my ability to obtain another job in this industry so I am forced to work at entry level pay in a new industry.

My question is this Can I sue (successfully) my former manager personally for creating a hostile work environment? Also, is my former employer obligated to give me a copy of my file, including the complaints filed against him for his treatment of me?
    CheeseBlotto Guest
    "Hostile work environment" has a specific legal definition, and this isn't it. Your situation falls into the "possibly unfair but not illegal" category. There's a support group for that. It's called everybody, and they meet at the bar.
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    The short answer to your question is no, you can't. Not successfully.

You do not have a hostile work environment in the legal sense. No laws were broken; no cause for suit.
    Gadfly is offline Senior Member
    Now that the manager is gone it appears that the company has taken steps to correct the issue. Why not go to HR and see if you can be reinstated?