• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take a previous employer to courrt for slander and lies on termination letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brad Niemi

What is the name of your state?GA
I just rec'd my separation notice. The reasons given can be proven to be false. The company refused severance pay of any kind. Can I sue for something because he provided false info on the separation notice?

C

CheeseBlotto

Brad Niemi said:
What is the name of your state?GA
I just rec'd my separation notice. The reasons given can be proven to be false. The company refused severance pay of any kind. Can I sue for something because he provided false info on the separation notice?
Unless specified in an enforcable employment contract, severance is never required. Therefore you have no damages and no suit.

Brad Niemi

But what about slander and deffamation?

But, if the company uses false accusations on the notice, don't I have some recourse?

C

CheeseBlotto

No legal recourse until you have incurred actual montary damages as a result, and even then there's no guarantee that you have a case.

jussme_37

to cheeseblotto

you need to stop giving out advice! of course the guy has a legal right to sue those people for not doing their job in affirming that the adverse report was "true and correct". before any adverse action can be taken against you, the FCRA requires employers to give you the name of the people they got the info from and you have 60 days to refute any info that is not correct. otherwise, they have "defamed" you and terminated you illegally.

moburkes

you need to stop giving out advice! of course the guy has a legal right to sue those people for not doing their job in affirming that the adverse report was "true and correct". before any adverse action can be taken against you, the FCRA requires employers to give you the name of the people they got the info from and you have 60 days to refute any info that is not correct. otherwise, they have "defamed" you and terminated you illegally.
You need to stop responding to threads that are 2 years old, AND providing incorrect information in your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">