• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be terminated or suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barrsbratzz1

What is the name of your state- Florida
can i be terminated or suspended for turning myself in a bogus worthless check charge even my attorney says it will be dropped be arraignment and now my gm wants to have a "talk". what do i do, what can i do?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state- Florida
can i be terminated or suspended for turning myself in a bogus worthless check charge even my attorney says it will be dropped be arraignment and now my gm wants to have a "talk". what do i do, what can i do?
You sure can. Bogus check writers are not a protected class.

barrsbratzz1

but i have not been found guilty and i am innocent. i also have a civil suit against the company who wrongfully accused me pending.

barrsbratzz1

but how can they do that if they flat out say they have a reputation to uphold and basically call me a criminal to my face that has to be illegal they have no other eason to terminate me but for this.

Proserpina

but how can they do that if they flat out say they have a reputation to uphold and basically call me a criminal to my face that has to be illegal they have no other eason to terminate me but for this.

They don't NEED a reason to terminate you.

They can terminate you for any or no reason whatsoever.

What they cannot do is terminate you for a reason specifically prohibited by law...

...now with that said I do have a question.

What exactly does the civil suit entail?

barrsbratzz1

i am suing the company that had me arrested the check that was wrote was to be held until i received my tax return they trid to put it through after i had even returned the vehicle due to the fact that the department of education sezied my return. they new when i wrote the check that there no funds to cover it but it was there idea to hold a check when i took the car back they said everything was fine and if i could find the money they would love to give me the car back. i am suing for my attrorney fees and wages lost and now possibly if i lose my job that to.

Proserpina

i am suing the company that had me arrested the check that was wrote was to be held until i received my tax return they trid to put it through after i had even returned the vehicle due to the fact that the department of education sezied my return. they new when i wrote the check that there no funds to cover it but it was there idea to hold a check when i took the car back they said everything was fine and if i could find the money they would love to give me the car back. i am suing for my attrorney fees and wages lost and now possibly if i lose my job that to.

Oh...boy.

You NEED an attorney.

Because frankly you're about to get shafted with THEIR court costs as well as everything else.

You messed up big time here. Seriously.

barrsbratzz1

i do have an attorney but she said that they only turned the charge in for a check under 150 and that they knowing accepted the check that did not have funds to back it

pattytx

They were holding the check for you as a favor. They were not required to hold the check by LAW. Any check written is assumed to be negotiable at the time it is presented to the payee, regardless of the date written on the check. Why did you even tell your employer this? Your grammar is so poor, I'm not sure exactly what happened here.

Thanks for the credit, Antigone. ;)

Last edited:

eerelations

And to answer your original question - again, and before you ask it again - yes your employer can legally fire you for this - even if you're innocent, even if you haven't been found guilty, and even if you win your civil suit. Why? Because there's no law against it. Period.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Google at-will employment. Or heck, do a search on it here on this site.

Then, having done so, if you still believe that you cannot be fired for this, come back and tell us EXACTLY which law would be violated by firing you.

commentator

Yes, they can terminate you if they want to. Talk with your GM, be frank, explain what is going on. Try to work this out so that you keep your job. Tell them you want to keep your job. If they still go ahead and fire you, don't make an ass of yourself as you go out by saying you will sue them or something, because you can't. Thank them for the good time you have spent working for their company, assure them that this is a misunderstanding, perhaps ask if you can reapply when you have your record cleaned and this matter is resolved. In other words, be the professional, go out with dignity, and perhaps you'll be able to be rehired, or at least use them as a decent reference.

Then, as soon as you are terminated, you file for your unemployment benefits. If you have monetary eligibility, you have an excellent chance of being approved to draw. Because your wrongdoing was not related to your work, even if you did do it. Whether or not you did is not relevant. But if the employer wants to fire you for something that happened to you off the job, like being caught on one of those child molester predator shows, they can, but since it was not work related misconduct, you can likely be approved to draw unemployment as long as you are out and able and available to apply for other jobs.

If you stole checks from their business and passed them, then you don't get unemployment, as this is certainly work related misconduct.

Antigone*

You have got to be kidding:eek:. Oh boy how much is your attorney charging you to represent you on this case? I think you may just have to focus.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">