• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be terminated will in Iraq?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cvicisso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

<should say 'WHILE in Iraq...>

I'm a contractor working on a U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) contract in Iraq (I am a civilian - not GS). I have been here for almost one year, and the company currently does not have anyone with a valid work visa who can travel here to relieve me. Iraqi work visas are not quick to obtain (understatement), so I am hoping this gives me some leverage.

The company recently informed me that the pay/compensation I will receive upon return to the U.S. will NOT be what we agreed to in my offer letter. My understanding is that the company will be in breach of their contract with the U.S. government if I am not here to do the job (I am their only employee in Iraq and the only one on this particular FMS contract).

I am tempted to reply to their pay reduction with a two-week notice of resignation (there is literally no way on Earth that they could get someone with a work visa here in time to replace me), but do not want to be terminated for cause by walking off the job. The intention of my notice would obviously be to renegotiate the terms of my employment... to include a severance agreement (which I do not currently have).

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">