• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a job offer be rescinded?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbella123

I recently graduated from college and received a contingent offer in Sept of 2008 with an accounting firm. Since then, they have courted me with a sign-on bonus and paid for CPA review and exam fees and have invited me to their employee get-togethers. Recently, as I am starting my job soon, they have asked me to submit signatures on two forms, one for a background check and one for a 10 yr driving history check. I have decent credit, never had a late payment, collection, judgment, etc. I do have student loan and credit card debt of 5K that I accumulated while in school and have always paid on time. I do have one minor blip, a ticket in 2002 for "operating without license" A policeman pulled me over because my lights were out and he thought I was having an electrical problem. He was not able to verify my license and I did not have it with me. He gave me a citation and told me that if I turned my license in within 5 days to the DOT that I would not be assessed a fine or any points against my license but for some reason this is on my driving record as a traffic violation with "no action taken." I was wondering if they would rescind an offer based on this and what legal action I would have if they were to do so?

Isis1

a job offer can be recinded at any time unless there is a signed contract specifically stating otherwise.

but chances are, based on your post, you should not have anything to worry about.

Antigone*

I recently graduated from college and received a contingent offer in Sept of 2008 with an accounting firm. Since then, they have courted me with a sign-on bonus and paid for CPA review and exam fees and have invited me to their employee get-togethers. Recently, as I am starting my job soon, they have asked me to submit signatures on two forms, one for a background check and one for a 10 yr driving history check. I have decent credit, never had a late payment, collection, judgment, etc. I do have student loan and credit card debt of 5K that I accumulated while in school and have always paid on time. I do have one minor blip, a ticket in 2002 for "operating without license" A policeman pulled me over because my lights were out and he thought I was having an electrical problem. He was not able to verify my license and I did not have it with me. He gave me a citation and told me that if I turned my license in within 5 days to the DOT that I would not be assessed a fine or any points against my license but for some reason this is on my driving record as a traffic violation with "no action taken." I was wondering if they would rescind an offer based on this and what legal action I would have if they were to do so?
No one can tell you whether they "would" rescind their job offer because of this violation. Can they ~ yes they can.

If they do your only recourse would be to begin job searching.

pattytx

Would it be legal to rescind the offer? Yes.

Will they? We would have no idea.

I do have to say, though, that if they've already paid education expenses, etc., they did that because they thought it would pay off for them; rescinding the offer now would be money down the drain for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">