• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nojobforlsg

Hello! I am from Colorado and I recently had a job with HealthSouth as a Billing Adjuster. I worked from 4:30pm-1:00am.
My first day of work was on Sunday, May 13, 2001. My immediate manager met me at the facility she acted shocked to see me there. I thought nothing of it.
Two days later I found out she would be leaving the company for a better job.
On my fourth day there, she told me that she knew all along that the night position was going to close and that I was to be terminated the next day. She said thats why she was surprised to see me there on my first day. She didn't know why the company let me start work when they knew they were closing this shift.
My fifth day, sure enough they let me go and said they had known they would have to do this since Monday. The day after I started.
I feel like I was wronged in some way or another. Do employers have the right to hire someone when they know their going to be letting them go days later? I feel
embarrassed that everyone knew I would be let go, isn't there something illegally wrong with that? I was told this was a good and stable job, something I could move up in fast. I took this job and turned down others because of the security and other reasons. I feel a litte deceived. False hope and security! I wasted time, money on new clothing, etc.
They did offer me my one week paycheck. Plus Severance pay for 2 weeks. By law I know I'm suppose to get my money IMMEDIATELY! It's been a week and a half. I'm going to the labor board first thing Tuesday morning.
For all I've gone through and the circumstances of the hiring and firing, do you think I might have a case against them?
Thanks for responses in advance!
Lynette

B

buddy2bear

Being at-will, they can fire you for any reason or no reason. Where the payment of wages or lack of payment are concerned, you contact your State's Wage & Hour division. When you write your resume, you don't have to put this job down since it was for such a short period of time.

At any rate, did you check to see if there were any openings on other shifts? Call their HR department and ask about other openings and your paycheck before you call Wage & Hour and file a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">