• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boss fire me because I'm not in the union?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

classemommy5

What is the name of your state? OHIO
My boss came to me Friday after my lunch break and told me he had to let me go, so I asked why he said your not what I needed and I want to find somebody else. I said you can't fire me for no reason then he says your not putting out like you should and I said are you now telling me that I have a quota now he said yes. I said you never gave me any quota and everytime I asked if their was one you said maybe I can
work out something but never said anything about it. All he kept saying is your not in the union and I was gonna let you go the beginning of the week but I decided to let you stay till Friday. So I asked you mean to tell me your firing me over a technicality, he said hmm, pretty much so sorry, I said that's not fair then he said remember I told you I have a budget cut and I said how is that when you just hired three people this week but your letting me go over a technicality.
He said your not in the union and your still on probation so I can pretty much do what I want, but what he don't know is that the union took out initiation fees out of two of my paychecks. When I kept asking why am I being fired he said no Trina you quit, I said no I did'nt you fired me and again he said no you quit.
Do I have a case or can I get my job back?

HomeGuru

classemommy5 said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO
My boss came to me Friday after my lunch break and told me he had to let me go, so I asked why he said your not what I needed and I want to find somebody else. I said you can't fire me for no reason then he says your not putting out like you should and I said are you now telling me that I have a quota now he said yes. I said you never gave me any quota and everytime I asked if their was one you said maybe I can
work out something but never said anything about it. All he kept saying is your not in the union and I was gonna let you go the beginning of the week but I decided to let you stay till Friday. So I asked you mean to tell me your firing me over a technicality, he said hmm, pretty much so sorry, I said that's not fair then he said remember I told you I have a budget cut and I said how is that when you just hired three people this week but your letting me go over a technicality.
He said your not in the union and your still on probation so I can pretty much do what I want, but what he don't know is that the union took out initiation fees out of two of my paychecks. When I kept asking why am I being fired he said no Trina you quit, I said no I did'nt you fired me and again he said no you quit.
Do I have a case or can I get my job back?
**A: were you on probation? How long did you work there? Is union membership accepted after you complete the probation period?

Last edited:

Beth3

Do I have a case or can I get my job back? If you mean do you have the basis of a lawsuit, the answer is no. Your boss has not acted unlawfully. If you are in the union, then you can file a grievance with the union and see if they can help you get your job back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">