• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boss make me sign this??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KWicks

I recently quit my job and my boss is determined that i am going to sign a confidentiality agreement for him so that i will not say anything to his investors. i am an investor myself and was when i began working there. i did not sign anything when i began work there so is it legal for him to make me sign something now that i have already quit?? he is also holding my last paycheck until i sign and it has been 3 weeks. can i get my money without signing anything?

Last edited:

JETX

As HomeGuru says, they cannot hold your paycheck to try to induce your agreement. Tell them to release your paycheck to you or you will file a complaint with your state labor board. Then, do it.

T

troynsam

can my boss make me sign this?

If compensation is owed you by this previous employer, he cannot hold it from you legally. I can't even understand why he would even ask you to sign something like that, if he is aware that insider trading/information is highly illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Every state has a requirement as to when the final paycheck must be released. It can be as soon as the same day as your employment terminates, or as late as 35 days after. Within that time frame for your state, your paycheck can be held for any reason the employer wants. However, it cannot be legally held beyond that time.

Whether he can require you to sign a confidentiality agreement at this time, and how binding it will be, is also subject to state law. You should contact a local attorney for your state regulations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">