• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer delete my email account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ireland381

I live in Washington state.

I was recently fired from my job... that in itself is a long story but what I have a problem with now is the way they're treating me in my departure. This might actually be considered harassment.

My employer has been walking a very thin line with legal issues regarding my employment. That's not really the point right now, but what I have a major problem with is my email account being deleted. Without any notice, my password was changed (I was able to get it back using security information) and then the next day my account was destoyed entirely. At least, my address was deleted and I have no access to my emails. I was using a work computer to download the emails and using the web system on my laptop... so as I have no access to the work computer, I have zero records of my emails on that account.

I am likely going to pursue legal action for previous issues with my employer; much of our correspondence was via email, and now I have no records of our conversations, no documentation whatsoever.

I know that the account and even the messages may be their property, but doesn't that constitute evidence if there are issues under litigation? Without those emails, the issues I have against my boss are my word against his. Am I just screwed or is there something I can do about this?What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since, as you yourself point out, the account belongs to him, he can do anything he wants with it, including deleting it.

You say, you are *likely going to* pursue legal action against your employer. That would imply that you have not, as yet, done so. Since there IS no litigation, there's obviously no evidence for a case that hasn't been filed yet.

ecmst12

Just because you no longer have access to the account does not mean it's actually gone. More likely it's backed up on a server somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">