• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can My Employer Fire Me for Hear Say/ Can I Sue Them or take legal action for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dustinhacker45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois my Name is Dustin I got hired on a family owned company i worked there for three days and the supervisor daughter works there also which i was taking her spot casue they was sending her to rehab for her drug problems and she had told the owner/supervisor that I was a Drug dealer which Im not and my supervisor had asked me if i was which i told her no cause im not but she had told me that she would call me back to work soon and has not called me back and a month later put up an ad for a open job position i was wondering if this was legal for her to do can i sue for discrimination or defamation of character or hear say

Isis1

you can be fired for wearing purple socks. perfectly legal.

i do recommend filing for unemployment depending on your work history. you may qualify. not for THIS employment...but for prior employment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
None of the above. You have not described any illegal discrimination; hearsay only counts in a court of law and not always there; what she says to you is not defamation.

Google, At-will employment.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois my Name is Dustin I got hired on a family owned company i worked there for three days and the supervisor daughter works there also which i was taking her spot casue they was sending her to rehab for her drug problems and she had told the owner/supervisor that I was a Drug dealer which Im not and my supervisor had asked me if i was which i told her no cause im not but she had told me that she would call me back to work soon and has not called me back and a month later put up an ad for a open job position i was wondering if this was legal for her to do can i sue for discrimination or defamation of character or hear say

However, you may have a case against the daughter.

Unfortunately defamation cases are costly enough (in terms of both time and money - think several years and tens of thousands of dollars) to litigate as to preclude litigation for most regular folk.

Attorneys don't take these cases on contingency unless it's pretty clear that a) the case is a slam-dunk and b) the guilty party is financially sound enough to be deemed "collectable".

swalsh411

Please tell me you filed for unemployment a month ago when they told you not to come back "unless we call you" because you were terminated at that point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">