• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my employer force me to sign a proprietary rights agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlopez111

What is the name of your state? California

My employer is trying to make all employees sign a proprietary rights and information agreement. First they threatened to not give bonus checks until it was signed now they are just trying to make everyone sign it. I don't want to sign it and don't know what rights I have or if they can terminate me. Please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dlopez111 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My employer is trying to make all employees sign a proprietary rights and information agreement. First they threatened to not give bonus checks until it was signed now they are just trying to make everyone sign it. I don't want to sign it and don't know what rights I have or if they can terminate me. Please help.

My response:

What does the contract state, EXACTLY, word for word?

IAAL

dlopez111

sorry the document is 11 pages

can you help me out as to what you are looking for. The document is 11 pages long and I doubt you want the entire thing. Thanks. :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dlopez111 said:
can you help me out as to what you are looking for. The document is 11 pages long and I doubt you want the entire thing. Thanks. :confused:

My response:

11 pages long??

What do they want, your first born male child? Hell, most of my Dissolution Settlement Agreements (including custody, child support and visitation), aren't THAT long!

Tell your employer that you need time to have your attorney review the document.

IAAL

dlopez111

it doesn't matter where i work

from what I recall, an employer can't force you to sign a non-compete, etc. once you are employed - is that true

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dlopez111 said:
from what I recall, an employer can't force you to sign a non-compete, etc. once you are employed - is that true

My response:

This is the first time you're mentioning a "non-compete" agreement. You started off asking about a "proprietary rights and information agreement".

Get your terms straight. I can't "chase" you around with advice if you don't know the difference between those two types of agreements. Now, which is it?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

No, it's not true.

dlopez111

sorry for the confusion

I apologize for mixing the terms, "non-compete" and "proprietary rights and information." I realize that they are two different things but in this document they are trying to incorporate both. It is entitled "Employee Proprietary Rights and Information Agreement." Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">