• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer make me work on Saturday's?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lmlz

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am an assistant principal in an elementary school in Texas. We are under contract. I am being asked to attend meetings on certain Saturday's for no compensation. It conflicts with my side job. I am also a Dee Jay and I use the weekend for that job. My principal asked me why I did not attend an inservice that had occured on a Saturday and I told her that I was working. She said that I needed to decide which job I wanted. Is this fair of her. Can she legally do this?? HELP.

Beth3

There are no laws which prevent your employer from scheduling you to work any day for any time they feel necessary. Unless your employment contract prohibits this, yes, the principal can require you to attend an in-service on a Saturday. And as an exempt employee (which I assume you are since you're an Assistant Principal), it is not required that you receive any additional pay for working more than your usual schedule, again unless your employment contract requires this.

With most positions of responsibility, occasional work on weekends and other hours outside the norm are pretty standard. Your manager telling you that you have to decide which job you want is a standard conversation in these circumstances. Employers seldom mind if an employee holds an outside job provided that second job does not interfere with their work schedule and job duties, as yours did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">