• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer restrict my resume content?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mister_mister

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I am a Web Developer by professional and have my resume posted on my personal website. In my resume I list all the different websites that I have worked on in a section called "Designed / Developed / Administered Websites & Web Applications". This list of website URL's is an important piece of my resume as it acts as a portfolio of my work.

My employer (a non-profit community hospital) recently said that I need to remove the URL of their public website from the resume on my personal website stating that they own their URL and I don't. It is true that they own their website domain, and that any code I write while employed by this organization is their property. However, their URL reference in my resume is simply a statement of authorship over my work, not a statement of ownership over the website domain.

They also mentioned a vague reference to some possible legal issues that putting their URL in my resume may have on them, however the way they said it made me think they were just making up stuff.

Do they have any right to stop me from referencing my employer's public website URL in my resume?What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

There may not be any legitimate legal reason for them to want you to take their URL off your resume. However if you refuse, they can still fire you for it. So consider your decision carefully. Once you are no longer employed there, I doubt there would be anything they could (successfully) sue you for if you put the link back up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">