• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer withold my paychecks after being fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mango99

What is the name of your state?I live in California and was fired from my job due to breaking rules in the employee handbook. When I was hired, I signed a statement that said if I was fired due to misbehavior or if I left without giving my two weeks notice, I would lose my wages for the hours for which I had not yet been paid. Is this legal?

JETX

mango99 said:
What is the name of your state?I live in California and was fired from my job due to breaking rules in the employee handbook. When I was hired, I signed a statement that said if I was fired due to misbehavior or if I left without giving my two weeks notice, I would lose my wages for the hours for which I had not yet been paid. Is this legal?
No. They are required to pay you for the actual hours worked, at least at minimum wage, by both state and federal law.
For more, go to: http://workitout.ca.gov/default.asp?id=156

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are NO circumstances under which your employer can legally not pay you for time you have already worked. They can legally fire you and they are not required to pay you for any notice time you do not work. But they MUST pay you for all the time you actually worked and in your state, if they fire you, they must pay you for that time on your last day of employment.

You can file a complaint for unpaid wages with your state DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">